As we are all aware, the transportation industry is a significant source of greenhouse gas emissions. Regulators around the world are addressing this challenge by setting progressive automotive greenhouse gas emission limits, fuel economy standards or a combination of both, concentrating on tailpipe emissions only. We are encouraged by these aggressive measures to improve the environmental impact of passenger vehicles and commend their progress.
However, much of the current regulations around the world began as metrics to achieve reductions in oil consumption. They adopted miles per gallon (kilometers per liter), measured in equivalent tailpipe grams of CO2 per mile (kilometer) as the means to achieve these reductions. It was the right approach to achieve the stated objective. However, extending that same metric toward the new objectives for reducing greenhouse gas emissions may result in unintended consequences.
A better way of measuring automotive GHG emissions is by using life-cycle assessment (LCA), which takes into account all of the emissions created during the life of a product from raw material production to product end-of-life. WorldAutoSteel is committed to advocating life cycle assessment’s inclusion in the development of vehicle emissions regulations around the globe. We feel it’s the right thing to do for the planet. Browse the materials below to learn more about life cycle assessment and why we’re so passionate about it.
- Design Advisor Course
- Vehicle Emissions Impact Indicator
- Case Studies
- Comparing Material Usage in Production Vehicle Efficient Designs
- Light Duty Truck Case Study: A Story of Unintended Consequences
- Sport Utility Vehicle: A Case for Life Cycle Assessment
- Super Light Car Life Cycle Assessment
- Lotus Engineering 2009 Toyota Venza Mass Reduction Program
- GM/MIT Lift Gate Study
- Compact Car Reference Vehicle
- 2007 Cadillac CTS Magnesium Front End Study
- Communication to Automakers
- Communication to Policy Makers
- Sustainable Steel
- [VIDEO] From Star to Cars
- [VIDEO] The Big Picture
- [VIDEO] Why is LCA important to vehicle regulations?
- [VIDEO] Dr. Roland Geyer on Life Cycle Assessment
- [VIDEO] Steel industry’s environmental performance improvements: an interview with Oliver Hoffmann
- [VIDEO] Steel, A No-Regrets Decision: An Interview with Jody Shaw
- [VIDEO] This is your Life Cycle! by EcoInnovators
- [VIDEO] a Message from Steel Market Development Institute